Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Portraits & A Placement...

Recently I've been taking on a few portrait commissions! Besides working on my own stuff, I really love doing commissions because in a way it sort of reminds me of Uni - I have a set brief, and usually a time I need to complete it by.

Here's a small family portrait I did for a christening ~

 photo FamilyinWoodland_zps83d2bf16.jpg 

 photo ideas_zps19db28d9.jpg
Ideas sketches I e-mailed to my client

I absolutely loved working on this! I was given so much creative freedom. My suggestion of setting it in woodland surrounded by cute animals was thankfully something they liked! It's only A5 so it's pretty small, but I was quite pleased that I'd managed to do a traditional artwork with no mistakes, without resorting to digital editing. I learned so much about my way of working through this little portrait :)

Here's another commission I did recently ~ a lady contacted me about doing a portrait of her daughter, who sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

 photo Naomi2_zpsa50f637f.jpg 

 photo naomisketches1_zpsa602cb20.jpg
More ideas sketches!

She wanted her cats in the picture, and her daughter was a very outdoorsy football player (hence the grassy field background) - with an absolutely amazing smile! Her story pretty much broke my heart, and it was an honour to be asked to create such an important illustration.

These have been pretty challenging because I've gotten so used to editing my work digitally - probably because of convenience - but I've found when I take my time a bit more, plan out my pieces beforehand, and tell myself I'm not going to use any sort of digital editing, I'm usually really pleased with what I come up with. That being said, I don't want my work to end up too polished and precise, because I've made that mistake in the past and the work has lost all of its initial charm... I think it's probably about doing just the right amount of planning!

***

 photo 895e7c2d269f8627_zpsc0283825.png Besides working on commissions, I've also been preparing for a two week placement with Hallmark cards! Kept that pretty quiet, I know ~ but those of you who follow my twitter might already know. They saw my work at D&AD New Blood and must have liked it :D I'm very excited - it starts on Monday! I get to stay in a house in Leeds specifically for people on Hallmark and Tigerprint placements, and it's 9-5, but I don't know much else about it! I'll tell you all I can about it once I get back - eep :)

Soph x

1 comment:

I always appreciate comments!