Wednesday, 25 April 2012

'Peter & The Wolf' Macmillan Project


The hand-drawn dummy book.
I've not really posted any of my illustration work in a while, so here's a little update on one of the Uni projects I've been working on recently!

We had to work on a children's book for the Macmillan Children's Book Competition, and I chose to re-work the idea I had last year about creating a modern take on the folk tale 'Peter and The Wolf'. The requirements were that we had to make an actual 32-page dummy book of the story, and work up four double page spreads into final artworks.

The above painting is mainly just a media experiment I did after finishing my four final artworks, because I wasn't entirely happy with the materials I used in them. I'm still trying to find a method of adding colour that I'm happy with. I kind of liked how this experiment turned out, despite having a long way to go until I'll be totally happy with my technique. The picture to the right is an example of me trying out digital colouring on the front cover of my dummy book, and I'm still not convinced this is the best way of working for me... it's something I have to work on, anyway! ^-^

It's easily been my favourite brief this year, and despite it being a lot of work I think I got a lot out of it. I didn't realise the amount of careful decision-making children's book illustrators go through when it comes to stylization and composition, and after going through the process myself, I have a new-found respect for people like Quentin Blake and Axel Scheffler, who make it look so easy... 

I had a lot of fun with it though, and now I'm aware of how much commitment making a children's book takes, I feel a little more confident in jumping into another project like this maybe over Summer, and I'm definitely going to be making more children's books in the future.

Anyway, here are
my favourite double-page spreads made into my four final artworks...





My character design for Peter has changed quite a bit since doing these, but I'm still happy enough with how he looks here. Any comments and critiques would be very much appreciated!

Soph x

3 comments:

  1. wow, you got some really nice work here. I especially like the spreads with the wolf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I have just found your blog...somehow..and I have been doing this competition too because uni gave us it as a project. I am not entering because mine did not go well... :P
    But anyway, my point is, this is reaaalllly good. I love the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much to both of you! :)

    Soph x

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments!