Saturday, 9 July 2011

A Delightful Week In The Country

Today I got back from the (obligatory) annual holiday to Wales! ...Hurrah!

Despite going there every Summer I can remember, and knowing my way around the place almost as good as if I lived there, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.
We stayed in a lovely cottage, complete with an 'interesting' selection of DVDs, two living rooms, our own personal herd of authentic Welsh sheep just outside, and an American-style fridge that dispensed ice cubes.

It was wonderful, and I already realllly wish I was back there.

There are so many independent art and craft shops and galleries dotted around in Wales, which I really took the time to mooch around this year, and explore a bit more than usual. I was lucky enough to stumble upon some really interesting exhibitions and various things going on, which was very nice and unexpected. I'll post about them all soon once my photographs and information is all collected and uploaded etc... as things are now, I'm still unpacking my clothes and souvenirs (including a wolf plush, a Gandhi postcard, and a large Nosferatu candle)...

As well as the gallery pictures, I might also upload some generic holiday snaps for posterity.
For now though I'll leave you with the only drawing I managed to do during the week, the view from my bedroom window ~


It wasn't nearly as melancholy and depressing as it looks there, by the way. The countryside in Wales just sometimes has that aura, despite it being bright and sunny.

Still recovering from the (surprisingly fun) six-and-a-half-hour train journey home, so now it is time for me to flop on the settee with a hot chocolate.

Soph x

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Sophie, all of us always want to stay on vacation and do nothing, right? ha ha!
    but it can not, the rest of the year we should be at home looking at the photographs, (for it was invented, Ha Ha! to remind us how beautiful during a holiday is what happens)
    Do you know that in the south of my country there are two cities founded by people of Wales? Gaiman and Trevelin, where you can drink tea with delicious Welsh cake:).
    Well your landscape is perfect!
    enjoy your chocolate, six hours and a half is a long time:(

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments!